This blog began with our journey to China when we received our adopted daughter and third child, Alexandra. The lady bug is the common symbol, or mascott for adopted Chinese daughters. The blog has since evolved into a journal of our trials, triumphs, joys and complete loss of sanity (that is often restored by copious amounts of chocolate or beer- taken only on an as needed basis, of course), as we embrace daily life with four beautiful little children.



Saturday, September 15, 2012

Last day with Mom

Last week I spent my last day at home with my baby before she began kindergarten.  She and I decided to celebrate this big milestone for us both by having fun together.  We were blessed with a beautiful warm sunny day and we began it with a short hike in the woods with the dog.  When we came home we hopped on our bikes and took a short ride through the neighborhood.  She's getting really good on that two-wheeler!  We came home and had lunch, did some chores together (she is an excellent kitchen floor sweeper and she even vacuumed the stairs- not bad for a 40 lb. 5-year-old)!  We made some blueberry muffins for afternoon snack and read some books together.

Christina is the only child I've had at home with me alone because I had twins first.  It was really only one year we shared because Allie went to kindergarten 3 days a week.  Christina is an older kindergartner and as the youngest of four, she is very ready to take on more, so we decided to put her in 5 days a week.  Our year together was special and a time I will cherish.  But she is ready to move on now.  Am I?  It is bittersweet indeed.  While I am grateful for the freedom and extra time I will have during the day (Ha ha, yeah right. Not exactly "free" when you're working a PT job), a part of me will miss having a little buddy to hang out with.  Since she's now been in school for one whole week, things are eerily quiet, but also very peaceful.  When the four come home, one to two at a time in the afternoons, the quiet is transformed rapidly into noisy chaos again.  And the comfort of knowing they're all here and safe and have had a good day that they can't wait to share with me is also peaceful in itself.

No comments: