The theater scene seemed to fit Christina naturally. She played the role of the littlest orphan caroler and managed to keep track of all her costume pieces and entertain herself backstage, until her next scene. The majority of work on my part came at the beginning, in giving her a head-full of curls and plenty of make-up. I quickly realized how much more is involved in having a daughter in theater than sons. It's the hair. It's like getting your kid ready for prom night on every performance night until the show is retired.
While fussing over Christina, I let the boys mostly prepare themselves. Joe needed a little extra assistance with costume piece organization- he had several costumes and needed help with a very quick change in between scenes. He played one of the Cratchet children and really enjoyed his role. His most difficult challenge came with the candy. During one scene he and his fellow Cratchet siblings were given candy canes and were required to dispose of them at the end of the scene. Asking Joe to do something like that is like asking him to breathe without lungs. Joe wolfed down his candy cane as fast as he could back stage, while trying to change costumes, and sometimes would appear in the next scene with his mouth slightly askew, trying to sing around the hidden candy. I don't believe this went unnoticed by the director, but I can't imagine he was too pleased about it.


No comments:
Post a Comment