My poor little blog has been put to the back burner this week. I decided there just isn't enough craziness around here, so I took a job teaching biology labs at our local community college, one day a week. I have worked there in the past, so much of the work involved is familiar routine. All was set up according to plan and would've progressed in a swimmingly fashion except for one thing: No, make that 2, 3, no, 5 things:
1) I had no key, so I couldn't get into my classroom. The students were sitting in the hall, and I was unable to let them in. (How embarrassing is that)?
2) Because I had no keys, I also couldn't get into the stock room, which means I couldn't set up for my first lab.
3)I had incomplete access to the copy machine, so I couldn't hand out my syllabus.
4)There were NO dry erase markers, so I couldn't write on the white board.
5)I had no morning coffee.
Having four kids under age five has had its benefits. I have learned that no matter how well I plan, things sometimes just won't go accordingly. I have learned that rather than panic over such situations, it's better to just throw your hands up in the air and say, "Oh well."
So what did I do in this chaotic moment when class was to begin and I had nothing prepared? Well... I panicked.
And then, I acted:
1) Found another faculty member to open the classroom door.
2) Grabbed a kid, who seemed to be doing nothing, to help me throw things for the lab onto a cart.
3) Winged it. I had no lab instructions copied to distribute to the students, so I just winged it.
4) Stole someone else's dry erase marker from another classroom.
5) Went without coffee. (It was painful, but I did it).
We won't even bother talking about how John's first morning went dropping the girls off with the babysitter and taking the boys to school. Let's just say he had trouble getting all of the car seats into our stupid little car, so he was 20+ minutes late. And that was probably the "good" part of his morning.
After my little escapade last week, I am now armed with the keys I need and full copy machine access, as I prepare for next. Plus, I just bought MY OWN set of dry erase markers. I am optimistic that next week will move along much more smoothly, despite the fact that my hubby is locked up at a conference all week. But it could be worse- all of the kids could be sick.
I think I'll go knock on wood now.
1 comment:
Gosh, sounds like an ordinary day at the beginning of the semester! I have lost students, lost instructors, instructors with no keys (ask your department chair), no alarm code (call campus patrol), beggars for dry markers (if you don't return it I'll issue a bounty), do I really need a parking pass questions (no, if you want to pay $35 bucks), can you help me to get into a class that is closed? (No, we don't teach that class here) . . . and two police officers writing "incident" reports for a pulled fire alarm. Yes, it must be the first 2 weeks of school. Nice going, Laurie! I'm proud of you. Auntie
Post a Comment