I'm learning something about raising girls. They seem to have an uncanny ability to detect when I'm sneaking chocolate behind their backs. Well, at least my two-year old girl does. I find it remarkable because after 34 years of experience, I think I've gotten pretty good at sneaking. I have my stash bag of M&Ms very well hidden. And I'm very good about not rattling the bag too loudly, and being sure to munch quietly. To this day, I can sneak it past both boys. But the girl? She knows. At the slightest sound of a "treat" bag rattling, she comes running to see what I'm into. When I'm in front of her (with a mouthful), I have to be careful to not chew in front of her. Even the slightest movement of my mouth results in, "What's that, Mama?"
How does she know? Does she smell it? Now I remember the days quite well, from about 10 years old on, searching the high cupboards for my mom's "stash." I was careful to take only few, so as to avoid being discovered. I think my mom knew what I was up to anyway and she didn't care. But did I really have her figured out at age two? How has my daughter, who doesn't even speak with complete sentences yet, acquired such wisdom? Is this cruel punishment for a woman who stole her mother's chocolate as a girl, without asking? If I can't get past a two-year old, how will I manage when she gets older? Should I just give up now and give her her own stash? Am I going to be completely up a creek once the second daughter catches on? Surely, her sister will fill her in and the two will pressure me til I break down!
OK. I suppose I needn't panic. Many other moms of daughters have gotten through this too. I envision there are far greater concerns in my daughters' futures (such as some of the boyfriends they bring home), besides their ability to figure out my chocolate addiction.
But it's time to up the ante. I shall move the bags to higher heights. I shall press on.
1 comment:
NO just get a crinkle free bag!!!! DUH
hehe
try a shoe box
a girl and her chocolate is like a dog and his leash...they don't hear you calling but the leash they hear a mile away!!!
Post a Comment