This blog began with our journey to China when we received our adopted daughter and third child, Alexandra. The lady bug is the common symbol, or mascott for adopted Chinese daughters. The blog has since evolved into a journal of our trials, triumphs, joys and complete loss of sanity (that is often restored by copious amounts of chocolate or beer- taken only on an as needed basis, of course), as we embrace daily life with four beautiful little children.



Monday, October 02, 2006

How Times Have Changed

Man, I'm getting old. Really old. Last night we took the kids to a high school marching band competition. I sat there and reminisced about my former high school marching days, thinking of the numerous field shows and competitions we performed. In all honesty, things really haven't changed much over the years. The music was typical, the marching techniques and formations were as I remembered. And even the atmosphere and overall feel for a clear autumn evening band competition hadn't changed. Being there brought back a flood of memories.

And then this happened. The last performers of the night stepped onto the field. It was an exhibition field show by Boston University. Considering this was a college level performance at a high school competition, my expectations were set a bit high. But when the band broke out into a medley by Bon Jovi, it was all over for me. I just hung my head. John and I looked at each other and shook our heads in disbelief. Bon Jovi! We're talking about a band I used to rock out to in high school. There's nothing like being serenaded by a bunch of sousaphones to 'Wanted, Dead or Alive'. And there's nothing like listening to a college marching band playing rock songs from your high school days to make you feel a hundred years old. These songs may have well been blaring from the speakers of an elevator. Yeah... I guess things have changed after all.

No comments: