
We've had some tough luck around here when it comes to our pets. Over the last month or so we've had an unwanted visitor in our chicken yard. After the disappearance of one chicken followed by another, we finally discovered the offender while in the act. Feathers littered the chicken yard and when I went out to investigate, I found a rather large red fox proudly displaying poor 'Atilla the Hen' in his mouth. We attempted to secure the chicken wire fence several times by placing stones, logs, and cinder blocks around the bottom perimeter of the fence, only to find later that they had been moved or rolled away. It seems that foxes are as smart as they say.
We are now down to two chickens who are going to soon have a new home. Better to give them away than expose them to the same predator over and again. After the stress of trying to save their own skins, they aren't laying eggs very well anyway.
Then last week the worst happened. Our cat Gertie vanished one day and hasn't been seen since. Always a quick and savvy cat, I thought even she could protect herself and outsmart a fox or other wild critter. I knew when I agreed to have an outdoor cat that this could happen one day. But I knew also that she would be so much happier outside. I think next time, if we have another cat some day, it will be an indoor cat. Please come home Gertie, we miss you!
1 comment:
Where's my funny toes!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment