I was able to find a cool afternoon during high tide a couple weeks ago when I took the kids to the docks to fish. Sadly, I had never found the time to take them fishing before. The boys had a friend fishing with us too, who seemed to land fish every 10 seconds after I baited his hook. Shortly after, Joe caught his first fish ever- a handsome scup. Aaron caught two fish, also scup (also his first catch), and Joe caught a little striped bass. Allie took sight of the first landed fish, just about lost her lunch at the thought of it all, pulled in her line, and decided fishing wasn't for her. She was just as happy to hang out on the dock and watch.
But poor Christina who waited as patiently as a 5 year old could while watching all the boys land fish after fish, couldn't catch a thing to save her life. After her bait was stolen for about the 5th time, I finally became suspicious of her hook and then realized it had no barbs. At this point I was exhausted from baiting hooks, unhooking fish, untangling lines, trying to snap pictures, and dealing with 5 very excited children jumping around the end of a dock. I had wet sleeves, worm guts in my hair, and fog building up on my camera lens. The tide was heading out and it was starting to rain. It was time to go, but apparently we weren't done. Just as we were packing up, Christina landed a little scup. It was one of her happiest moments, which made it all worthwhile.
No comments:
Post a Comment