Welcome to the family. For years I refused to admit that I needed you. I pretended that you didn't exist. I continued to drive that gas guzzling Explorer, so that I could pretend I really was cooler than the average soccer mom. I clung to my 4-wheel drive mobile, as if I would at any minute, take a side trip and go off-roading, just as soon as I was done dropping the boys off at soccer, the girls at dance, the books at the library, the prescriptions at the pharmacy, and the dog at the vet. And because of my extreme, in-vain stupidity, I suffered for it. I suffered every time the door froze shut in the winter and the kids waited for me to be their footman, in addition to their chauffeur. I suffered through every complaint when the big kids took the legs off the little kids, while trying to climb over them to get to the back seat. I suffered through lack of storage space, the dog at my feet (because there was no where else to put her), and years of getting kicked in the back of my seat.
I finally gave up, got you, and was awakened. Minivan, where have you been all my life? The kids can now get in and get out of the car themselves, buckle themselves, and open and close the doors themselves, all without killing each other! Suddenly my life has new meaning!
Minivan, I love you.
2 comments:
oh you didn't!!! I'm going to be the sameeee way! I refuse to drive a minivan despite the inconvenience or the number of kids I end up having. I'm determined not to be soccer mom. I know a minivan is practical and makes sense...but I just don't know if I could bring myself to do it! Props to you cousin.
You get to a point in your life though, when practicality begins to outweigh coolness. The van has brought so much more peace to my life that I have learned to forego vanity!
Post a Comment