This blog began with our journey to China when we received our adopted daughter and third child, Alexandra. The lady bug is the common symbol, or mascott for adopted Chinese daughters. The blog has since evolved into a journal of our trials, triumphs, joys and complete loss of sanity (that is often restored by copious amounts of chocolate or beer- taken only on an as needed basis, of course), as we embrace daily life with four beautiful little children.



Saturday, October 10, 2009

How Do Dads Do That?

There are certain talents that men possess that women can't help but admire. For example, a man's ability to bbq anything, fix any household object with seemingly zero training, and craftily urinate in the woods with such minimal exposure, can all but drive the female mind to envy.

Dads in general seem to possess an additional talent that I can only admire without comprehension. They have the uncanny ability to tune out any noise around them uttered by children, and fully concentrate on the task before them. This remarkable talent became noticeable to me at night time, after we brought home our first babies. At first both of us were very alert at any sounds the babies made. But once the babies were moved into their own room, his awareness began to fade, and while they wailed at night time, Dad continued to slumber in peace. Not to say that John wasn't willing to get up for them. On the contrary, once awake, he took care of the babies better than anyone (and still does). Once I had burned out on meeting my babies' nocturnal requests, I would nudge my husband to tell him it was "his turn." But what always amazed me is he never heard them in the first place.

Not much has changed since those early parenting days. John continues do his part at night and always without a complaint, that is, once the kids have awakened me, and I in turn, have awakened him.

What I find even more admirable is John's ability to tune out the kids while trying to read something. A kid could be yelling "Dad, dad, dad, dad, dad..." (yes they still do that) directly into his ear, and he still doesn't hear it. There could be yelling, crying, and utter pandemonium in our house (which also still happens), and he can continue reading as if he were in a library! I'd give anything for this ability! I'd have read novels by now!

I, on the other hand, am not only fully aware of my children's activities and demands the second they reach my ears, but I'm easily annoyed by the sound (especially if I'm in the middle of something). John can peacefully and successfully complete his task at hand, and then cheerfully attend to the kids, as if he had never been interrupted. How does he DO that?

Guess it's just one of those things. Just as I'll never be able to gracefully pee in the woods, I'll never possess the talent of screening out kid background noise.

No comments: