This blog began with our journey to China when we received our adopted daughter and third child, Alexandra. The lady bug is the common symbol, or mascott for adopted Chinese daughters. The blog has since evolved into a journal of our trials, triumphs, joys and complete loss of sanity (that is often restored by copious amounts of chocolate or beer- taken only on an as needed basis, of course), as we embrace daily life with four beautiful little children.



Sunday, June 07, 2009

Savoring the moment

Today was a beautiful day. After 10 days of chilly weather and rain, it was nice to wear summer clothes and be outside. After mass, we found ourselves walking around the grounds of a lovely nearby shrine. The girls wore matching sundresses that were too big for them. When I went to get something from the car, John and the kids took off out of sight. As I started after them, I realized I had been pulled into a game of hide and seek. My suspicions were confirmed when I saw little heads sporadically peeking over a large sign they were hiding behind to see if I was coming. It looked like a game of whack-a-mole. When I reached them they screamed and went running off again to the next potential hiding spot.

Not long after, I took a walk with just Allie. She and I didn't say much but we enjoyed looking at flowers, chipmunks, and birds together, hand-in-hand. We met with the others again, played another game and just savored the sun. It couldn't have been more than 15 minutes. No one was crying or complaining. No one was fighting nor self concerned with unimportant issues. For a few moments, everyone was just... happy. Moments like that tend to be rare, but are well worth remembering.

No comments: