This blog began with our journey to China when we received our adopted daughter and third child, Alexandra. The lady bug is the common symbol, or mascott for adopted Chinese daughters. The blog has since evolved into a journal of our trials, triumphs, joys and complete loss of sanity (that is often restored by copious amounts of chocolate or beer- taken only on an as needed basis, of course), as we embrace daily life with four beautiful little children.



Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Bad Cake Day


Is this not the most hideous cake you've ever seen? This is what happened to me Monday night as I prepared for the boys' birthday on Tuesday. I'm not really sure what went wrong, but as I started frosting the cake, the 'skin' of the cake began to peel off and then I was frosting the inside. Well of course, as I continued to frost, it continued to peel and the inside of the cake got caught up in the frosting. Thus, the frosting wouldn't stick and the cake kept getting more mixed up with the frosting, and next thing I know, my frosting looks like muddy gravel. Well then things got worse and next thing I know, the top part of the cake fell down like a land slide, and this (pictured above) is what I ended up with.

So to answer your immediate question, No. This is not what I served my children for their birthday the next day, despite the fact that my husband suggested we make a new batch of frosting and just drizzle it over the whole thing, to "look like new". Instead, I pulled off the entire top cake layer and threw it in the fridge. Fortunately, screwed up cake tastes just as good as regular cake and it will make a nice snack. Meanwhile, I somehow managed to finger paint the bottom layer with whatever frosting it still had to make it look smooth, and then decorated the top with something that sort of resembled Mickey Mouse. The end result? Happy kids. That is, until they realized that John accidentally only put 5 candles on their cake.

3 comments:

Stephie said...

haha I'm dying here!!! Was it still warm when you did it?

Aunt Kathi said...

You need your Grandma Martini's Newfie frosting recipe. It takes a little while to make, but spreads so nice and doesn't stick.

Laura said...

Do you have it Aunt Kathi? I've got another kid's birthday coming up and I'm quaking over the next possibility of cake disaster!