This blog began with our journey to China when we received our adopted daughter and third child, Alexandra. The lady bug is the common symbol, or mascott for adopted Chinese daughters. The blog has since evolved into a journal of our trials, triumphs, joys and complete loss of sanity (that is often restored by copious amounts of chocolate or beer- taken only on an as needed basis, of course), as we embrace daily life with four beautiful little children.



Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lesson Learned

This week I made the mistake of letting a student, who is quite enamored with sea stars, do an experiment on the only sea star in the lab, by cutting off its arm and measuring the rate of regeneration. I hesitated when she asked permission because one really can't do an experiment on only one animal. Funny, because when I'm at home with my little kids I have no problem saying, "NO". But with older kids who aren't mine, I realized it's not so easy...until now. She begged. I caved. As a result, we have a dead sea star (who theoretically should have survived and regenerated an entire new arm). But then again, who can predict what will happen with animals in captivity?

In hind site, I should've known better. Next time I will apply all the skills I've learned and mastered at home for the last five years : "The answer is NO!"

No comments: