
This is Varfolley Pappay and he is a young man from Liberia, a small country in Africa. We are currently sponsoring him through the Christian Foundation for Children and Aging (CFCA). Varfolley lives in a leper village. Both of his parents are lepers and they live off an income of about $9 a month. They feed themselves from the small garden they have in their yard. I recently received a letter from Varfolley and he informed me, sadly, that his family just lost his youngest sister.
Now I can't imagine what it must be like to live around people who suffer from leprosy. And I certainly can't imagine trying to feed my family from the little garden we grew in our yard this summer. And as is for most parents, losing a child is far beyond any comprehension or reasoning. It just simply can't be. But unfortunately for this family and many others, this type of living is a reality.
Sometimes I am easily sidetracked into thinking how difficult my life can feel at times. When overwhelmed with endless house work, kid noise (like now), and trying to meet the constant demands of children, it's easy to fall into the trap of self-pity. But then I think of Varfolley and his family. And doing so certainly puts things into perspective.
If you are looking to give this Christmas, CFCA is a great charity. It has received top ratings from the American Institute of Philanthropy (Charity Watch) and the Charity Navigator. It is also an accredited charity by the Better Business Bureau. If we all do our part to give what we can, it can make such a difference in these people's lives. No family should have to live this way. And if every American household is willing to help, even a small donation can prevent families from having to.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment