
(Joe left. Aaron far right).

Joe runs the ball.

Aaron pauses to assess the situation.
Well, it's official. This week I became a Soccer Mom. I realize, that with this new role, there are many challenges ahead of me, namely, getting everyone out the door on time for practices and games for the next 10 years. (At least with twins of the same gender I have the advantage of sticking them on the same team. One stop for two kids- What a deal)!
What I wasn't prepared for, was the built-in entertainment! On the first day, I parked my lawn chair in the shade and watched a brand-new Soccer Dad struggle with his wiggling toddler. (I left mine at home). We (parents) all watched with great anticipation to see how our children would react to this new gig on the field. And what a show it was! Imagine, a group of 4-year-old doodle-heads all fighting with their feet over one ball. We saw the ball being kicked to the wrong goal, teammates working hard to get the ball away from each other, and multiple "Charlie Brown" air kicks and misses. While one poor kid sits in the middle of the field crying for Mom, another seizes the opportunity and mows him over like a Mack truck. Then there's always the kid who just gives up with trying to kick, picks up the ball, and runs it like a football. And don't forget the two kids looking in opposite directions, who collide like two out-fielders trying to catch a fly ball. My children, of course, committed none of these acts; they were perfect little soccer stars. (Yeah, right).
Much to my surprise, I find that I am looking forward to more of these Saturday mornings, lounging in my lawn chair, complete with coffee-in-hand, and absorbing the pandemonium. What can I say? I'm a Soccer Mom now. Guess it's time to go buy a mini van!
No comments:
Post a Comment